are we ready for a women president

Saturday, January 12, 2008

A dying father

watching a parent slowly die is a very painfull thing to deal with. 11 years ago my father had a heart attack and 2 small strokes shortly after, after that he had a triple bypass. He survived all that but it changed his way of living forever. All that at the age of 51. He was unable to work anymore, unable to drive due to vision in his left eye, he could only walk a short while and then stop to catch his breath. He had to move to a single story house cause he could not walk upstairs anymore. A few years later he was diagnosed with diabetes. Then that started to effect his mobility even more. In oct of 2006 he had another small stroke, fell to the ground and broke his back. To this day he is still in a nursing home, unable to walk due to bone infections in his leg, white blood cell count very low due to fighting infections, lost over 125 pounds and bone marrow very low, no need to say anything about his mental health. Thats something we will all understand one day if we don't die suddenly. Today the nursing home called me and said his kidneys are starting to fail and i should start to prepare myself and think about putting him in hospice care, how do you talk to your dying father about that? It's his choice if he wants more health care or not. But he does seem to be giving up, I don't know. I still have to tell my mother and brother the news i got today. I know i have to talk to him with my family there but it won't be easy. I plan on having my mother and brother go talk to the doc with me and then talk to my dad. Unfortunately i think i will update this true story of a dying father very soon

No comments:

Google